Choose another Topic

Decatur County Historical Markers

First United Methodist Church


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: First United Methodist Church
  • Location: 300 West Shotwell St., Bainbridge

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

FOUNDED IN 1823, TITLE TO THIS PROPERTY WAS CONVEYED TO THE CHURCH IN 1830 BY THE INFERIOR COURT, BAINBRIDGE. AN INITIAL BUILDING WAS ERECTED ABOUT 1840 AND WAS ALSO USED DURING THE 1850’S FOR SERVICES BY BAPTISTS AND PRESBYTERIANS. IN 1854 AN ENLARGED WOODEN STRUCTURE WAS COMPLETED AND SERVED THE CONGREGATION UNTIL 1899, WHEN A BRICK FACILITY WAS FABRICATED. FIRE DESTROYED THE CHURCH IN 1906, BUT THE BUILDING WAS REPLACED BY THE PRESENT STRUCTURE AND HOSTED THE 1911 SOUTH GEORGIA ANNUAL CONFERENCE.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION

AND THE DECATUR COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1980

J.J.JAXON CO. - EUFAULA, AL.