First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute
- Location: On the grounds of Hutto Middle School MLK Jr Blvd. Bainbridge
FIRST FLINT RIVER BAPTIST NORMAL INSTITUTE
In 1876, the First Flint River Missionary Baptist Association was formed to help “lift the veil of ignorance from its people” using land purchased in 1896 and 1915. The Association established First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute in 1918 with the Reverend H.F. Taylor as its head. The work of the school was entrusted to the care of Reverend James Graves, Mrs. L. Jackson and Mrs. Josie King Williams. This facility gave black children an opportunity for an education beyond the elementary schooling provided by Decatur County. Children from the county lived with Bainbridge area families until a dormitory could be built.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Historical Society 2008