- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Cyrene
- Location: Located at intersection of U.S. 84 and Cyrene Rd., west of Bainbridge
Approximately 1.6 miles north of this location is the village of Cyrene. Founded about 1890 by C.S. Hodges and W.G. Powell, Cyrene was typical of the many mill towns established along the railroad to utilize the vast forests of Southern Pine. Naval stores and lumber were the primary products taken from these forests. At one time, the village had a post office, sawmill, turpentine still, cotton gin, commissaries and about 500 inhabitants. After the loss of the Hodges Sawmill to fire in 1927 and the lean Depression years that followed, the naval stores industry began to decline. Today only a few people live in the town of Cyrene.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION 1986