- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Climax
- Location: Located at "Courthouse"/Old Depot at the park on New St. in Climax
Climax is the highest point on the railroad between Savannah, Ga., and the Chattahoochee River. The town was laid out and named in 1883 after a branch rail line was built to Chattahoochee, Fla. Later, a second branch rail line was built to Amsterdam, Ga. The town served as a rail junction and an agricultural community for many years, but was not incorporated until Aug. 11, 1905. It flourished, with businesses, churches, a school, hotels, and services needed to sustain the community. With the coming of paved highways and the cutback of rail services, the town’s economic strenght [sic] declined.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION THE CITY OF CLIMAX AND THE DECATUR COUNTY COMMISSION 19??