- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Camp Recovery
- Location: Located at intersection of Booster Club and Recovery roads, just west of Ga. 310
This medical camp was established on September 15, 1820 by the Southeastern Army of the United States headquartered at Fort Scott. It was used as a recuperation area for soldiers who had contracted malaria and dysentery in the swampy environs of the fort. Soldiers considered the fort to be the deadliest military assignment in the country because of numerous illnesses and deaths there. The camp was located on a high ridge three miles southeast of Fort Scott. A 34-pound cannon marks the site of the camp and nearby cemetery for the soldiers who perished here.
ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE DECATUR COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1995