- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Fort Early
- Location: Ga 300 1 mile from Worth County line
Fort Early, built by General Blackshear
in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor
of Georgia at that time. It was used by General
Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February
13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army
arrived at the fort and used it in the campaign
against the hostile Seminole Indians of Florida
and Creek Indians of Georgia.
Nothing remains of the fort. It is believed
to have been a stockade like many used in
The site of the fort is owned and marked
by the Fort Early chapter of the D.A.R.
040-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954