Choose another Topic

Crawford County Historical Markers

Creek Agency Old Agency


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Creek Agency Old Agency
  • Location: Ga. 128 about 1/4 mile north of the Taylor County line

CREEK AGENCY OLD AGENCY

Here on the Flint River was the headquarters of the Agent for Indian Affairs South of Ohio until the area was acquired by Georgia in the Creek cession of Jan. 24, 1826. Here Benjamin Hawkins and David B. Mitchell, Agents, resided and in 1804 and 1818 negotiated treaties with the Indians. Hawkins, Agent from 1796 to 1816, here entertained hundreds of Indians and many white notables. He established an immense model farm and taught the Indians how to spin and weave and grow cotton, corn, grain and cattle.

[WPA Marker]