- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Colquitt County
- Location: Colquitt County Courthouse, Moultrie
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 25, 1856, is named for Hon. Walter T. Colquitt who had recently died. A famous lawyer and Methodist preacher, he served in Congress in 1839-40 and 1842-43, and in the Senate from 1843 to ‘48. “As an advocate Judge Colquitt stood alone in Georgia.” Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Jacob F. Reichert, Clerk of Superior Court William McLeod, Ordinary Hardy Chastain, Tax Receiver John A. Alderman, Tax Collector Job Turner, Coroner Elijah Tillman and Surveyor Amos Turner.
035-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954