Clinch Court House
- Source: Keith Hair
- Marker: Clinch Court House
- Location: Clinch County Courthouse, Homerville
CLINCH COURT HOUSE
Clinch County was created by an Act of the
Legislature approved Feb. 14, 1850 out of lands
formerly in Lowndes and Ware Counties and
was named for General Duncan L. Clinch, a hero
of the War of 1812 and the Indian wars.
At the first election held in April, 1850, J.C.
Kirkland was elected clerk of the Superior and
Inferior Courts; Charles Cowart, sheriff;
Benjamin Cornelius, tax receiver; Ezekiel J.
Sirmans, tax collector, David J. Blackburn, survey-
or; Joseph L. Rogers, coroner; David Johnson,
Hiram Sears and Manning Smith, justices of
the Inferior Court.
032-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953