- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Wheeler Drive
- Location: Intersection of Wheeler Drive and Hood Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Wheeler Drive, Fort Gillem
Named in honor of Maj. General Joseph Wheeler (USMA 1859), commander of the 2nd Cavalry Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA. A renowned raider, he guarded the flanks of the Confederate Army, with headquarters near present Depot site, covering the Confederate retreat. A member of Congress 1881-1883 and 1885-1900, he was a Major General U. S. Vols. 1898, Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection and was appointed Brig. General, USA. He was one of the nation’s great Cavalry leaders.
Born at Augusta, Georgia, September 10, 1836. Died January 25, 1906.
031-AGD-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957