Choose another Topic

Clayton County Historical Markers

The Extended Line


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: The Extended Line
  • Location: Ga 85 SB .4 miles S of Atlanta South Pkwy 1/4 mile N of Lees Mill Rd.

THE EXTENDED LINE

The Federals, having lifted siege operations N. & W. of Atlanta Aug. 25, moved on the A. & W.P. R.R. below East Point & by the 29th began its destruction. In an effort to protect the M. & W. (Central of Georgia ) R.R., Hardee’s A.C. [CSA] hastily built and occupied , Aug 30, a line extending from East Point to Morrow’s & Thames’ mills.

Here the line ran E. to the R.R. near Rough and Ready where Hardee’s command post was alerted to observe Federal movements on Jonesboro.

This extended line, occupied but a day, was abandoned that night by Hardee’s 3 divisions - Maney’s, Cleburne’s & Brown’s - & with S.D. Lee’s A.C. from Atlanta, they marched to Jonesboro.

031-7B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956