- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Thames House
- Location: Clark Howell Rd, west of Ga 85
Res. of Wm. Thames (1796-1892), pioneer citizen of Clayton, formerly Henry, County; veteran of the War of 1812; owner of a saw & grist mill on Flint River; pastor of Tanner’s Church.
Aug. 31, 1864. Troops of the Federal 23rd & 4th A. C., marching east from Red Oak, passed this house enroute to the Macon & Western (now the C. of Ga. R. R.) which was seized at points above & below Quick Station (Forest Park). This move severed the last of the railroads entering Atlanta & forced Gen. Hood [CS] to abandon the city - night of Sept. 1st. The seizure of the R. R. was coincident with the first of the two battles in Hardee’s [CS] defense of Jonesboro.
031-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956