Choose another Topic

Clayton County Historical Markers

Site: The Mann House


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Site: The Mann House
  • Location: Flat Shoals Rd, east of Ga 139

SITE: THE MANN HOUSE

Some 400 ft. S. on this ridge stood the antebellum farm house of John A. Mann (1828-1904). It is cited in reports & dispatches of the movement of the 4th A. C. [US] from Red Oak to the Macon R. R. at Rough & Ready. Aug. 30, 1864, the 4th A. C., on reaching the crossroads at noon, drove the Confederate cav. N. E. on the Flat Shoals Rd. toward Thames’ Mill, then camped in this area: Newton’s div. N. E. of house; Kimball’s & Wood’s at crossroads just west of it.

Aug. 31. The 4th, having been joined by the 23d, resumed the march N. E. & together they cut the railroad at & below Rough & Ready while the 1st battle of Jonesboro was in progress.

031-33
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION

1958