Site of Couch House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Site of Couch House
- Location: Ga 139 (Church St) between King and Adams, Sts, Riverdale
SITE OF COUCH HOUSE
Because of its location at the center of Federal forces moving toward the Macon R. R. & Jonesboro, in Aug. 1864, the Drew Couch house, a log structure which stood at this site, was designated headquarters by the high command. Here, Generals Sherman & Thomas transmitted & received dispatches & maneuvering forces were posted in relation to the house as a landmark. Orders & reports cite the house 25 times in Official Records. From this sector the 14th A. C., Army of the Cumberland, moved to the battlefield of Jonesboro, Sept. 1. Site of the house was verified by B. F. Hancock, who, as a lad of 9 yrs. saw Gen. Sherman here, Aug. 31.
031-17 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956