Choose another Topic

Clayton County Historical Markers

Rough and Ready Tavern


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Rough and Ready Tavern
  • Location: U.S. 41 east of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport

ROUGH AND READY TAVERN

Here stood the Rough and Ready Tavern or Old Bagley House which was at different times a residence, tavern, general store, arsenal & probably headquarters of Gen. Hardee Aug. 30, 1864. To this place, mentioned in “Gone With The Wind,” the people of Atlanta were evacuated for further transport south. At Rough & Ready Station on the Macon & Western R. R. stood a water tank & wood shed for the engines. Fed. Troops cut the railroad 1 mile below here Aug. 31, 1864, completing the isolation of Atlanta. Timbers from the Tavern, torn down in 1917, serve as sills in the nearby McBrayer house.

031-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954