- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Renfroe’s Plantation
- Location: Ga 85 at Ga 138, south of Riverdale
The John Renfroe house, which stood near this crossroads, marked the right flank of Federal troops moving eastward toward the Macon R. R. (Central of Georgia) in August 1864.
It was the converging point of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps of the Army of the Tennessee, commanded by Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard.
These troops, marching from Shadnor Church & Fairburn, arrived here mid-afternoon the 30th, but finding no water, moved on E. to the Flint River via the direct Jonesboro rd. where, together with Kilpatrick’s cavalry, they forced the river crossings under Confederate fire & secured positions just west of the town.
031-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956