- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Iverson Gate
- Location: intersection of Hood Avenue and North 36th Street, on the right when traveling west on Hood Avenue, Fort Gillem
Named in honor of Brig. General Alfred Iverson, Jr., CSA. He became a first lieutenant, First U. S. Cavalry, 1856. In 1861 he resigned commission in U. S. Army and joined the Confederacy as a Colonel. Promoted to Brig. General in November 1862. He was in charge of a brigade of Wheeler’s Cavalry deployed on Depot’s present site, with mission of protecting Macon & Western Railroad, main supply line.
Born at Clinton, Georgia, February 14, 1829. Died March 31, 1911
031-AGD-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957