- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Battlefield Landmark
- Location: W side of US 41 between Robert E Lee Parkway & Dixon Rd
One of the few natural landmarks of the battle fought here Aug. 31, 1864, is the deep gully S. of marker – the bed of a small stream flowing W. to Flint River. N. of, & parallel to it, was the refused line of Harrow’s div. of the 15th, prolonged by Rice’s brigade (Corse’s div.), 16th A.C. (USA) facing S. & extending W. to the river.
Cleburne’s, Maney’s & Bate’s divs., Hardee’s A.C. (CSA) attacked the refused line from south of the gully, only to find it a fatal obstacle to a concerted assault on the intrenched lines & artillery of Harrow & Rice. Hardee’s attack was the signal for advance of S.D. Lee’s A.C. on the 15th corps front facing Jonesboro.
031-27 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958