Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
- Location: Cotton Hill Rd., Fort Gaines
MT. GILEAD BAPTIST CHURCH Fort Gaines, Georgia
This church was constituted on July 21, 1822, under the leadership of the Rev. Jim Davis, when Fort Gaines was part of Early County. Land for the church was donated and deeded by J. Hugh Edge. The first building, which also served as a schoolhouse, was constructed of hand-hewn logs. In 1839, Mt. Gilead joined the Bethel Baptist Association in Americus, Georgia. Included on the five acre church property is a cemetery with the earliest grave dating from 1865. A baptismal pool, inscribed with the date of 1828, is located across the road from the present church building and is still being used.
Erected by Mt. Gilead Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission 2002