- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Fort Gaines
- Location: Site of old fort, Bluff Street, Fort Gaines
One of several forts on Georgia’s western frontier for the protection of white settlers, Fort Gaines was established in 1816 by order of Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, commander of a large district, who used this as his headquarters. Containing two blockhouses, the 100-foot square fort was enclosed by a stockade eight feet high. During 1817, when Indians were active in the area, settlers look refuge in the fort, garrisoned by Federal troops under Gen. John Dill. Maintained for a number of years, the fort stood on the brow of the buff just below the confluence of Town Branch with Chemochechobee Creek.
030-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957