- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Clay County
- Location: Clay County Courthouse, Fort Gaines
This County created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 16, 1854, is named for Henry Clay, famous statesman who died in 1852. Near fort Gaines, the County Site, stood the actual Fort built
in 1816 for defense in the Creek Indian Wars and named for Gen. Edmond P. Gaines who ordered its construction. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff George R. Holloway, Clerk of the Superior & Inferior Courts Warren Sutton, Ordinary John H. Jones, Tax Receiver John H. Gilbert, Tax Collector
Peter Lee, County Surveyor Bennett H. Thornton and Coroner Churchill Patrick.
030-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954