- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: 1814 Boundary
- Location: Ga. 39 north of Fort Gaines, Ga. at East Bank Area, Lake Walter George
The boundary line defined in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (August 1814) between the confederated Creek tribes and the United States extended eastward from the mouth of Cemochechobee Creek south of here to a point near Jesup, Georgia. Signed by General Andrew Jackson for the U.S. and Tustennugge Hopoie (Little Prince) for the Creeks, the treaty ceded about 23 million acres of land and was intended to separate hostile Indians from British forces in Florida during the War of 1812.
ERECTED BY THE
HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE
FORT GAINES HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1939
[This marker is side 2 of the Founding of Fort Gaines Historical Marker]