- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Herty Field
- Location: Located behind Moore and New College Buildings at the End of Herty Dr., University of Georgia, Athens
This marker overlooks the site of the first intercollegiate football
game played in the state of Georgia and one of the first to be
played in the deep south. On January 30, 1892, Georgia defeated
Mercer College 50 to 0 on the stubbly grounds that served as an
athletic field. Several hundred spectators watched from the sidelines,
some of them spilling out on the playing ground. Students living in
New College close by the field had a splendid view of the action
from their dormitory windows.
Georgia played all its home games on this field until 1911 when a
new field was constructed off Lumpkin Street. The old grounds
were thereafter used for informal intramural games and as a drill
field for the R.O.T.C. trainees.
The original field, later converted into a parking lot, was named
in honor of Dr. Charles H. Herty, professor of chemistry at the
University and sports enthusiast. He introduced football to the
college boys and was unofficial coach and trainer of the early
teams. Herty later earned fame as a scientist in the development
of the turpentine and pine pulpwood industry.
029 - 17 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1991