America’s First Garden Club
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: America’s First Garden Club
- Location: Front Lawn of Young Harris Methodist Church, 973 Prince Ave., Athens
AMERICA’S FIRST GARDEN CLUB
I891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club
was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the
home of Mrs. E.K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb
was the first president. Beginning as a small
neighborhood group, the club extended mem-
bership to all Athens ladies interested in
gardening in 1892.
In the spring of 1892 the group presented
its first flower and vegetable exhibition.
By 1894 a set of standards, similar to those
of today, had been drawn up to make the
shows as professional as possible.
In 1936 the National Council of State Garden
Clubs recognized the Ladies Garden Club
as America’s first garden club.
029 - 9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1968