Choose another Topic

Cherokee County Historical Markers

Cherokee County Gold


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Cherokee County Gold
  • Location: Cherokee County Courthouse, Canton

CHEROKEE COUNTY GOLD

Cherokee County, located along Georgia’s gold

belt, figured prominently in the gold rush of the

1830’s and 40’s. Several mines operated along a

five mile area near the Eteowah River in the

northeastern part of the county, including the

Franklin-Creighton, Sandow, and latham Mines.

aMore than 30 other small placer mines extended

southwesterly across the county and included the

Sixes Mine, worked earlier by the Cherokees. After

the 1860’s, most gold mining operations in the

county either slowed or ceased. The most successful

and the most sophisticated, the Franklin-Creighton,

continued operations until 1913, when a shaft

collapsed and the mine was flooded.

028-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1988