- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Cherokee County
- Location: Public Square in Front of the Courthouse, Canton, Ga.
Created December 3, 1832 from Cherokee
Indian lands, and named in memory of the
Cherokees. Early settlers tried to start
silk production, but were not successful,
and today there remains no trace of this
except Canton, hopefully named for the
Chinese silk center.
The Marietta and North Georgia Railroad
reached Canton in 1879, providing a
considerable stimulus to development.
The locally financed and managed textile
mill, which began operations in 1900,
has provided a payroll of much local importance.
028-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953