Choose another Topic

Chattahoochee County Historical Markers

The Infantry Board


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: The Infantry Board
  • Location: In front on Building 76, Anderson Street, Fort Benning

(Side 1)

THE INFANTRY BOARD

On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board’s mission was to consider, with continuity of effort, the improvement of the Infantry.

The history of the Infantry Board has been coincident with that of the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, “The Home of the Infantry”.

(continued on other side)

(Side 2)

THE INFANTRY BOARD

From its very beginning, the Infantry Board was concerned with everything the Infantry Soldier used. Whether he shot it, rode in it, slept in it, ate it, wore it, or used it to accomplish his tactical missions, the Infantryman operating under combat conditions used products that had been tested by the Infantry Board. In consonance with its mission, the Infantry Board’s motto was “ONLY THE BEST FOR THE FINEST!”

From 1946 to 1991 the Infantry Board was headquartered in Building 76, on Anderson Street. The Infantry Board was discontinued effective 23 March 1991.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board 1991