Choose another Topic

Chattahoochee County Historical Markers

Post Headquarters - JAG

  • Source: David Seibert
  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Post Headquarters - JAG
  • Location: 6970 Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning

(Side 1):


On this site stood Building 5, the first permanent Post HQ building and later the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Building. Built in 1911 as a dairy creamery, it became the Officers’ Mess in 1919. In 1924 it became the Post HQ, headed by the Garrison Commander. Major tenants included: Infantry School HQ (until 1935), General Staff, Chaplain, legal offices, and Infantry Test Board. In 1964 Post HQ relocated and it became the JAG Building. From 1948 to 2009, thousands of courts-martial were held here, including U.S. v. Calley (1971).

(continued on other side)

(Side 2):

POST HEADQUARTERS - JAG 1911-2009 (continued from other side)

Building 5 expanded several times during its 98-year existence. The 1911 creamery was a 50 x 75 foot brick building for a dairy farm. In 1925, as Post HQ, a second brick building with a connecting corridor was added. WWII mobilization required more floor space. In 1943, the brick buildings were merged and a large wing added, tripling the building’s size. A courtroom was built within the wing in 1948. The building was destroyed by arson on Feb. 6, 2009.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Environmental Management Division, Fort Benning 2010