- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Telfair Academy
- Location: Barnard and President Streets, Opposite St. James Square, Savannah, Ga.
TELFAIR ACADEMY OF
ARTS & SCIENCES
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC —
Created under the Will of Miss Mary Telfair (c. 1789-1875, the
Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences opened as the first public
art museum in the Southeast with a preliminary private showing,
February 12, 1885.
After extensive remodeling and additions, with Detlef Lienau
of New York as architect, the building was formally dedicated
May 3, 1886. Among the prominent persons who attended the
dedication were: Jefferson Davis and his daughter, Winnie Davis;
Charles C. Jones, historian; Gen. A.R. Lawton; Gen. Henry R.
Jackson; Gen. G. Moxley Sorrel; Col. John Screven and Col. Charles
Carl L. Brandt, N.A., served as Telfair’s first Director, 1883-1905.
025-38B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956