- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Savannah-Ogeechee Canal
- Location: Located near intersection of Ga 204 and Bush Rd at the Canal Museum
Chartered in 1824, the Savannah-Ogeechee Canal was constructed between 1826 and 1830 by African and Irish laborers who moved thousands of cubic yards of earth. A boon to Georgia’s economy, the canal moved cotton, rice, bricks, and natural fertilizer. The lumber industry revived canal usage following a Civil War-era lull, but a yellow fever epidemic, blamed on the canal, caused a further decline. The canal closed in the early 1890s as the Central of Georgia Railroad served transportation needs. Beginning at the Savannah River, the canal comprises six locks and 16.5 miles, ending at the Ogeechee River.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Savannah-Ogeechee Canal Society, Chatham County, and the City of Savannah