Choose another Topic

Chatham County Historical Markers

Laurel Grove South Cemetery


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Laurel Grove South Cemetery
  • Location: Laurel Grove South Cemetery, 2101 Kollock St, Savannah

Laurel Grove South Cemetery

In 1853, the city reserved 4 acres in the new Laurel Grove Cemetery for Savannah’s African-American community. This new burial ground replaced an older black cemetery located near Whitefield Square. Pastors Andrew Bryan (First Colored Baptist Church) and Henry Cunningham (Second Baptist Church) were among those whose bodies were moved to the new location. Here are buried many of Savannah’s prominent black leaders–educators, civic/community leaders, Masons, politicians, entrepreneurs, and religious leaders. Later increased in acreage by the city, it continues in use today.

1999.16
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Friends of Laurel Grove South Cemetery

25-1