James Edward Oglethorpe
- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: James Edward Oglethorpe
- Location: Chippewa Square, Savannah, Ga.
JAMES EDWARD OGLETHORPE
The monument in this Square to James Edward Oglethorpe – the
great soldier-philanthropist who founded the colony of Georgia –
was erected by the State of Georgia, the City of Savannah and
various Patriotic Societies. Impressive ceremonies marked its
unveiling in 1910.
The 9 foot bronze statue of Oglethorpe is the work of one of
America’s foremost sculptors, the celebrated Daniel Chester French.
He has depicted the Founder of Georgia in the full dress of a
British general of the period. Oglethorpe is portrayed with
sword in hand: alert and ready for council or action. At his feet
is a palmetto frond. The statue faces southward symbolizing the
threat of Spain’s imperial ambitions to the young colony.
The pedestal and base of the monument were designed by Henry
Bacon, the eminent New York architect whose collaborations with
Daniel Chester French include the Lincoln Memorial. The four
lions at the corners of the lower base hold shields on which ap-
pear, respectively, the coat of arms of Oglethorpe and the great
seals of the Colony of Georgia, the State, and the City of
Savannah. On the pedestal of the monument is carved a portion of
the text of the charter which was granted by Parliament in 1732
to “the Trustees for establishing the colony of Georgia in America.”
025-45 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957