Isle of Hope National Historic District
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Isle of Hope National Historic District
- Location: Skidaway Road 1/4 mile from entrance of Wormsloe
ISLE OF HOPE NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
In 1736, Noble Jones, John Fallowfield and Henry Parker settled this important outpost on the colony’s inland waterway to the south and named it Isle of Hope. Jones’ Wormsloe [Wormslow] plantation was fortified and armed against Spanish attach until 1742. The island developed peacefully through the revolution, still important as an inland port.
The 1800’s brought more residents and farms. Although strongly armed during the Civil War, no action took place. By 1870 daily trains served the growing interest in the island as a resort. Barbee’s pavilion, at the river terminus of the railroad, became world renown in the 1920’s. Activity centered on the river and many large homes were built. Isle of Hope continues today as a tranquil outpost of coastal life.
Erected by Isle of Hope Historical Association, Inc.