- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Sardis Church
- Location: Ga 23 about 2 miles southwest of Folkston
Sardis Church, about 2 miles West on this Road, is the oldest church in Charlton County. Constituted some time before 1821, the first edifice was built in this area. The church was moved to or near its present site in 1840. The pulpit in this edifice has been in use for more than 100 years, and bears a bullet scar from the Indian Wars.
With 24 members, Sardis Church was admitted to the Alapaha River Primitive Baptist Association, October 13, 1856.
In the cemetery adjacent to the church are buried many of the pioneers of this section.
024-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958