- Source: Keith Hair
- Marker: Charlton County
- Location: Charlton County Courthouse, Folkston, Ga.
Created by an Act of February 18, 1854 out
of Camden County, Charlton County was named
for Judge Robert M. Charlton of Savannah.
Trader’s Hill (Fort Alert), an important
shipping point and head of navigation on
St. Marys River, was the first County Site.
In 1901, Folkston became the County Site
after the Savannah, Florida & Western RR
was in operation. The first County Officers,
elected in April, 1854, were: Daniel R. Dedge,
Sheriff; J.H. Oliver, Clerk of both Courts;
Francis M. Smith, Ordinary; John E. Gibson,
Tax Receiver; J.H. Bessant, Surveyor; James S.
Bennett, Coroner; Louis N.G. Strickland, soon
replaced by H. Roddenberry, Tax Collector.
024-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958