Choose another Topic

Catoosa County Historical Markers

Catoosa County


  • Source: Ed Jackson
  • Marker: Catoosa County
  • Location: Catoosa County Courthouse, Ringgold, Ga.

CATOOSA COUNTY

Created December 5, 1853, the county has an Indian name. Ringgold bears the name of Major Samuel Ringgold, who died of wounds received at the Mexican War battle of Palo Alto in 1846.

Taylor’s Ridge, visible for miles, is named for the Indian chief Richard Taylor.

Catoosa Springs, four miles to the east, and Gordon Springs, ten miles south, were colorful ante-bellum summer resorts.

The bloody Chickamauga battle was fought seven miles to the west, the battlefield now being a National Military Park.

023-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953