Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks
- Location: City Hall, City Hall Ave and Commerce St, Bowdon
LAST LAND IN GEORGIA CEDED BY THE CREEKS
Bowdon is near the geographical center of the last land in Georgia owned by the Creek Nation and ceded to the U.S. This tract, approximately 550 sq. mi. in area, is 80 mi long and 10 mi. wide at the widest point.
When Carroll County was surveyed in 1827, it was discovered that all of some districts and parts of others were actually still Creek Territory and still beyond the limits of the Treaties of Jan. 24 and March 31, 1826. An additional treaty, signed at the Creek Agency Nov. 15, 1827, ceded all the remaining Creek lands lying in the charted limits of the State of Georgia - Tract 141.
022-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954