First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840
- Location: Located in the 200 block of Weed Street, near Ready Street, St. Marys
FIRST PECAN TREES GROWN HERE ABOUT 1840
Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Capt. Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine, on Block 47.
The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. JOseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26.
These first plantings produced large and heavy-bearing trees, as did their nuts and shoots in turn. Taken from St. Marys to distant points throughout southeastern states they became famous before the Texas pecan wAS generally known.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION