Choose another Topic

Butts County Historical Markers

Butts County


  • Source: Keith Hair
  • Marker: Butts County
  • Location: Butts County Courthouse, Jackson, Ga.

BUTTS COUNTY

This County, created by Act of the Legislature

December 24, 1825, is named for Capt. Sam

Butts killed in the Indian War of 1814 at

the Battle of Chalibbee. At Indian Springs,

now a State Park, were signed the Treaties

with the Creeks giving Georgia respectively

all lands between the Flint and Ocmulgee

Rivers north to the Chattahoochee, and all

the remaining Indian lands in the state.

Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff

Isaac Nolen, Clerk of Superior Court Abel

L. Robinson, Clerk of Inferior Court Thomas

Thornton, Coroner Sm. B. Smith and Surveyor

Willie Terrell.

018-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954