Upper Black Creek Church (Side 2)
- Source: Ken Moser
- Marker: Upper Black Creek Church (Side 2)
- Location: Mud Road SW of Black Creek Church Road east of Denmark
UPPER BLACK CREEK CHURCH (continued from other side)
Upper Black Creek is one of the true pioneer churches of Wiregrass Georgia. The church was constituted on August 15, 1802 and was an evangelical outpost in the frontier wilderness. The church was a member of the Savannah River and later the Sunbury and Hephzibah Baptist Associations. From her members sprang a line of great Baptist Evangelists including Isham Peacock,John Albritton, Matthew Albritton Henry Melton, Jesse Goodman, Ryan Friar, William M, Groover, Sr. and Millard F. Stubbs. Some of the Baptist Churches which came out of her include Lower Black Creek (Bryan), Beards Creek (Tattnall), Poplar Springs(Laurens), Union(Lanier), Lanes, DeLoach,Old Fellowship New Hope-colored, Statesboro, Middleground and Red Hill (All Bulloch). Upper Black Creek was eminent in the movement opposed to corporate Missionism and sent Willam Groover and Malachi Denmark to the 1829 Limestone Convention in Washington County at which the Canoochee Primative Baptist Association was organized. This Convention also came to define the Primitive Baptists in Georgia. The first church meeting-house was a frontier log structure erected in early 1803 on the south side of Mud Road by David Goodman. His grandson, John Goodman erected the first sawn-lumber public building in Bulloch County as a new meeting-house for Upper BlackCreek on the present site in 1835. That building was damaged beyond repair in the Hurricane of 1884, and the new church that was built in 1885 was replaced with a modern sanctuary in 1973.