Upper Black Creek Church (Side 1)
- Source: Ken Moser
- Marker: Upper Black Creek Church (Side 1)
- Location: Mud Road SW of Black Creek Church Road east of Denmark
UPPER BLACK CREEK CHURCH
Upper Black Creek met each month on the third Sunday and Saturday before from the time she was organized in 1802 until the Church elected to meet every Sunday in 1957. Conference was every month on those Saturdays, and Upper Black Creek received new members only during regular conferences. Baptisms were held in Big Black Creek or millponds. Church discipline was serious and certain; The most common infractions were non-attendance, drunkenness and unchristian conduct. Forgiveness was frequent, and only the unrepentant were turned out of the church. Multiple ministers usually preached in the services on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, and services often lasted for several hours. The church’s first pastor, Isham Peacock was ordained in the same service in which Upper Black Creek was constituted. The presbytery consisted of Henry Hocombe, John Goldwire and Henry Cook. Other pastors were: John Albritton, Nathaniel Melton, Matthew Abritton, Henry Melton, Robert Donaldson, James Denmark William M. Grooover Sr., Willam S. Moore, John G. Williams, Millard F. Stubbs and James L. Smith. Earliest members included: James & Mary Bennett, William & Sophia Bragg, James and Nancy Denmark, David and Jane Goodman, Thomas and Martha Jones, George & Cynthia Lewis, Jordan & Sarah Lewis, Abraham & Ann Roberts and William & Mary Woodcock. Upper Black Creek was built on Rebel Road, a colonial highway dating from the 1780’s. A major commercial artery, it became known as Mud Road in the early 1800s because continuous wagon and cattle traffic and its several stream crossings kept the road continuously wet and muddy.
(Continued on other side)