Statesboro High School
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Statesboro High School
- Location: Located at the high school, 10 Lester Rd, Statesboro
STATESBORO HIGH SCHOOL
In 1890 citizens organized in built the city’s first school, the Statesboro Academy, at the corner of North Main and Church Streets. For ten years it served the needs of the community. In 1901 a growing city dedicated a new and larger school at the corner of South College and West Grady Streets. Originally called the Statesboro Normal Institute and Business College, the local school authority changed the name to Statesboro High School in 1922, and students attended classes in a new building nearby on Grady Street.
The first local school to serve black Americans - Statesboro High and Industrial School - opened its doors in 1907 on Cotton Avenue and Blitch Street (M. L. King, Jr. Drive). In 1954 a new William James High School replaced the original school. In 1971 Bulloch County’s schools were officially integrated, and all local high school students could attend a newer and larger Statesboro High built in 1964 by the Bulloch County Board of Education. This building is located behind the facility that opened in 2009 on Lester Road.
Supported by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation