Old Savannah Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Old Savannah Road
- Location: US 301 about 7 mi NE of Statesboro, 3/4 mile SE of Donegal
OLD SAVANNAH ROAD
The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, to the south of the present Milledgeville. There it connected with the main course of the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. Opening of this lower stretch of the old road was authorized by the State in 1777. When Milledgeville was made the capital, the thoroughfare was extended to that place. Most of the original course remains in current use.
016-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958