Old River Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Old River Road
- Location: Ga 119 1/4 mi NE of junction with 119-C near Ivanhoe
OLD RIVER ROAD
The highway crossing here is the Old River Road, one of the earliest white man’s routes west of the Ogeechee. The State authorized the opening of this portion of the old thoroughfare in 1777. It followed the course of an Indian trail that led to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below today’s Milledgeville. There it intersected the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. When Milledgeville became the capital, the old route became a leading vehicular way from Savannah to that place. Most of this pioneer trace continues in daily use.
016-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956