Choose another Topic

Bryan County Historical Markers

Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church
  • Location: 8 miles E of Richmond Hill on Ga. 144, then right on Belfast-Keller Rd.

Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church

This church, the oldest congregation in lower Bryan County, was certified by the Presbytery of Georgia in 1830. Its founders included rice planters on Bryan Neck, among them Thomas Savage Clay, Richard James Arnold and George Washington McAllister. The first meeting house was constructed in 1839 three miles north of this site on the Bryan Neck Road. The current sanctuary, the oldest public building in Bryan County, was built in 1885 after the first building burned. The cemetery, known as Burnt Church Cemetery, remains at the original site and includes the graves of the church’s prominent early members.

2001.11
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church, and Richmond Hill Historical Society

15-1