Choose another Topic

Bryan County Historical Markers

Bryan County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Bryan County
  • Location: Bryan County Courthouse, Pembroke

BRYAN COUNTY

This County created by Act of the Legislature

Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Jonathan Bryan,

Revolutionary patriot and member of the

Executive Council in 1777. The “lost town”

of Hardwick on the Ogeechee River was the

first temporary County Site. Laid out in

1755, it was named for Lord Hardwick, Lord

Chancellor of England, a relative of the

then Gov. Reynolds. Two Royal Governors

recommended that it be the Capital of

Georgia. An Act of 1797 designated a new

County Site at Cross Roads, 2 miles from

Ogeechee Bridge. The Site was later moved

to Clyde and then Pembroke.

015-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954