Evergreen Baptist Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Evergreen Baptist Church
- Location: US 23 6 miles north of Cochran
EVERGREEN BAPTIST CHURCH
Evergreen Baptist Church, built in 1844, was split off from old Mt. Horeb Baptist Church, constituted October 15, 1809, which stood at or near the site of the Centenary Methodist Church. On February 14, 1844, the congregation and pastor found themselves locked out of the church by a Brother Burkhalter. Most of the congregation, considered “Mission-minded,” formed a new church, called it Evergreen and constructed this building in 1844. In slavery days Negroes walked for miles to attend its services. In 1864 Negro members outnumbered White, 130 to 86.
012-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955