Choose another Topic

Bleckley County Historical Markers

Bleckley County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Bleckley County
  • Location: Bleckley County Courthouse Square, Cochran

BLECKLEY COUNTY

This County, created by an act of the Georgia Legislature

July 30, 1912, is named for Chief Justice Logan E. Bleckley, of

the Georgia Supreme Court, one of the greatest jurists in the

history of this State. Born in Rabun County in 1827, he served

as a Confederate soldier, resumed his law practice after the

war, was an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court 1875-1880

and Chief Justice 1887-1894. Among the first Bleckley County

officers were Sheriff J.A. Floyd, Superior Court Clerk J.T. Deese,

Ordinary W.M. Wynne, Tax Receiver Jim Holland, Tax Collector

W.D. Porter, Treasurer J.R. Taylor, Coroner Morgan Barrs,

Surveyor W.H. Berryhill, Comm. of Roads and Revenue J.B. Hinson.

012-1 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985