- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Fort Hawkins
- Location: Emory Highway betweeen Fort Hill and Maynard Sts., Macon
Fort Hawkins was established at this site in 1806 on the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River at the border of the Muskogee Creek Nation. The location was chosen by the fort’s namesake, Benjamin Hawkins, who served as the U.S. Agent for Indian Affairs South of the Ohio River from 1796-1816. Located along the old Federal Road linking the Georgia interior to ports at Mobile and New Orleans, the fort served as a military supply point and a frontier trading post. The fort was decommissioned in 1828 as the frontier moved further west. The replica southeast blockhouse was erected by the Nathaniel Macon Chapter NSDAR in 1937-1938. The community that developed around the fort would eventually become the city of Macon.
2007.9 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Fort Hawkins Commission 11-5