Choose another Topic

Berrien County Historical Markers

Old Coffee Road


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Old Coffee Road
  • Location: On Davis St (US 29) at the Courthouse in Nashville

OLD COFFEE ROAD

The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this section, running southwestward from the Ocmulgee River to the Florida Line, passed through today’s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville. The thoroughfare was opened by direction of the State in 1823 under supervision of Gen. John Coffee and Thomas Swain. Over this pioneer route the products of the region were carried to the coast to be sold and imported goods brought back. Sections of the original route are in use today.

010-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1960